from this distance, it’s hard to tell exactly what went wrong. it–our relationship–seemed to the outside world and to my internal self to be straight forward and simple. we had mutual friends. we liked to go out dancing and bar-hopping. we shared an aesthetic (which, by the way, i read today is the “new” mid-life crisis, not knowing what your ‘aesthetic’ is. to laugh.) the sex was terrific–i loved his dark, hairy body and the fact that he was nearly as tall as me. he had ambition. we both loathed burt lange, the nasty old queen who owned the antique store at the corner of state st. & oak and was always swanning around in a mink coat regardless of the weather and for whom this love of mine worked. but, once he quit, and rented a space on armitage, west of halsted, and opened “Morehouse Antiques”, it, our love, seemed to peter out. (should ‘peter out’ conjure images of dribbling, then i’ve succeeded in successfully describing how it came to end.) what better way to recover than a road trip with my mother. we drove from springfield to rapid city with stops in shenandoah, iowa, where there were graveyards a-plenty packed with dead relatives that called out to us–inveterate cemetery-hounds that we were–and where this photo was taken when our car broke down one hot summer day in 1976. the look on my face a reminder that sometimes even your loving mother can’t make things right. sigh.
Subscribe by email
Find a topic
- Thrilling spotlight on our artist and friend, Mike Kungl, by the city of Anaheim. Bravo, Mike! tmblr.co/ZFDtgv2HD15N- 18 hours ago
- RT @sitesExhibits: Be sure to see #WabbitExhibit @HSVmuseumArt - final stop on the tour - by 1/22. Because when the curtains drawn, THAT'S… 1 day ago
- I'm a dirty skunk? #saturdaymorningcartoons #chuckjones #duckseasonrabbitseason #skunkseason instagram.com/p/BPQIcAAAjlt/ 1 day ago
- Red Dot Auction 2017--Call for Artists! conta.cc/2iLgUUd https://t.co/dAlYKD4okO 2 days ago
- Cats painted by Chuck Jones, ink on Arches paper, 11 x 14, circa mid-1960s. #cats #inkpainting… instagram.com/p/BPK3h5XgXgP/ 3 days ago
- At UCLA for social enterprise Academy. #University #UCLA #Academy @ UCLA instagram.com/p/BPJPeWPgQ7L/ 4 days ago
- Red Dot Auction 2017--Call for Artists! conta.cc/2iLgUUd https://t.co/5pMRd2Kwow 4 days ago
- At the studio and home of artists Karen and Tony Barone. Looking forward to bringing their work… instagram.com/p/BPGv1q6gACh/ 5 days ago
- Red Dot Auction 2017--Call for Artists! conta.cc/2iLgUUd https://t.co/aZNPpqPXah 1 week ago
- Nude by Chuck Jones, gouache on paper, circa late 1950s. #chuckjones #lifedrawing @ Chuck Jones… instagram.com/p/BO8cORugPD5/ 1 week ago
© Robert Patrick, and Cultivar, 2008-2013. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts, photographs and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Robert Patrick and Cultivar with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.