from this distance, it’s hard to tell exactly what went wrong. it–our relationship–seemed to the outside world and to my internal self to be straight forward and simple. we had mutual friends. we liked to go out dancing and bar-hopping. we shared an aesthetic (which, by the way, i read today is the “new” mid-life crisis, not knowing what your ‘aesthetic’ is. to laugh.) the sex was terrific–i loved his dark, hairy body and the fact that he was nearly as tall as me. he had ambition. we both loathed burt lange, the nasty old queen who owned the antique store at the corner of state st. & oak and was always swanning around in a mink coat regardless of the weather and for whom this love of mine worked. but, once he quit, and rented a space on armitage, west of halsted, and opened “Morehouse Antiques”, it, our love, seemed to peter out. (should ‘peter out’ conjure images of dribbling, then i’ve succeeded in successfully describing how it came to end.) what better way to recover than a road trip with my mother. we drove from springfield to rapid city with stops in shenandoah, iowa, where there were graveyards a-plenty packed with dead relatives that called out to us–inveterate cemetery-hounds that we were–and where this photo was taken when our car broke down one hot summer day in 1976. the look on my face a reminder that sometimes even your loving mother can’t make things right. sigh.
Subscribe by email
Find a topic
- 📷 “What a maroon!” is what you’ll say if you miss this year’s Red Dot Auction benefiting the programs... tmblr.co/ZFDtgv2JuIvgB 1 day ago
- 📷 Happy National Puppy Day from Frisky Puppy and Chuck Jones! Character model sheet, photostat from... tmblr.co/ZFDtgv2JsZHru 2 days ago
- You remember "Under the Tuscan Sun", don't you? Here's your chance to live a little bit of the "La Dolce Vita". Join… lnkd.in/enHWZMZ 2 days ago
- 📷 Bugs Bunny and his adversaries, graphite on 12 field animation paper by Chuck Jones as an... tmblr.co/ZFDtgv2JqNCg5 3 days ago
- The Palette and Palate of Tuscany at LCA Wine brought you to by @ChuckJonesCentr shop.chuckjonescenter.org/collections/ti… #winetasting #painting #landscape 3 days ago
- 📷 Original character model sheet, photostat from drawings by Chuck Jones for his “Kiss Me Cat”,1953. . tmblr.co/ZFDtgv2JnXFv0 4 days ago
- 📹 Happy St. Patrick’s Day! “The Wearing of the Grin”, 1951, directed by Chuck Jones. tmblr.co/ZFDtgv2JedytX 1 week ago
- Character model drawing, graphite and colored pencil on 12 field animation paper by Chuck Jones… instagram.com/p/BRwGEGJDZ4j/ 1 week ago
- 📷 Character model drawing by Chuck Jones, graphite and colored pencil on 12 field animation paper, for... tmblr.co/ZFDtgv2JcZEif 1 week ago
- 📷 Original layout drawing, graphite on 12 field animation paper by Chuck Jones for the first episode... tmblr.co/ZFDtgv2Ja34WO 1 week ago
© Robert Patrick, and Cultivar, 2008-2013. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts, photographs and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Robert Patrick and Cultivar with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.