okay. this is how this will work: i am posting several photographs that i took yesterday. i will start the caption below each photographs leaving one or more spaces empty for you to add your suggested insertions. everyone will be a winner! not that you’ll receive anything (well, anything tangible) for your efforts, so some of you may feel that’s a lot like losing. but! you’ll have the satisfaction of knowing you contributed to this worthy cause. and that’s winning, isn’t it? (if you need to win, at least it’s something. there may be those of you for whom the idea of winning and/or losing as the be-all end-all might be somewhat distasteful. i mean, the very idea of striving may be anathema to you (you know who you are.)
so. let’s get started.
1. a rose is a ________ and by any other name may ___________ as ________.
2. the devil and _ were talking the other day. “what were you thinking,” he said, “when you _______ that?”
3. as i was walking down the _________, i thought about ______ and ______, but no sooner had i _______ than those thoughts ____________.
4. “but, he cried,” in some distress, “that is not what i _______. you have taken my words and ____________.”
5. i stood a bit, the cool wind brushing against my face and contemplated ___ existence of ______ and how nature seems to be the __________ of all that is good with the world.
6. and, as if on cue (the stage manager sotto voce) i turned to the ____ and realized that it was true what they _________ _____ ______. it somehow assuaged the despair i had been feeling earlier.