Earlier in the week I read Christopher Knight’s review of the William Wendt show at the Laguna Art Museum and I meant to blog about it as it got me to thinking about a variety of different topics, but got sidetracked by life. You can read the review by clicking here. My questions are:
1. Is spirituality dead in contemporary arts?
2. Why are landscapes so derided?
3. What makes an artist a minor master?
4. And not unlike the artist vs. illustrator argument previously discussed, what makes someone an artist and not merely an artisan?
5. Why does the greater the popularity of an artist usually spell critical doom?
I’m not sure I’m up to tackling all of these topics right now, but will over time. If any of you have thoughts about these questions, please leave a comment for discussion.